Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment is a new benefit that has been introduced to replace Disability Living Allowance for working age claimants (aged 16-64).


From June 2013 all new claims for a disability benefit have been for Personal Independence Payment rather than Disability Living Allowance.

Reassessment of existing Disability Living Allowance claimants began in October 2015. 

Personal Independence Payments are made up of a daily living component (similar to the care component of Disability Living Allowance) and a mobility component. Awards will be made up of one or both of these components. Each component has two rates – a standard rate and an enhanced rate.

Entitlement to Personal Independence Payments will be based on a point scoring system similar to that currently used to assess claims for Employment and Support Allowance.
Claims for Personal Independence Payments are started by ringing the Department of Work and Pensions, who take some basic details such as:

contact details and date of birth
National Insurance number
bank or building society details
doctor’s or health worker’s name
details of any time spent abroad or in a care home or hospital

They will send out a form ‘How your condition affects you’ which needs to be completed and returned within one month. In most cases claimants will then be called for a face to face medical assessment before a decision on entitlement is made.

The rates for Personal Independence Payments in 2015 were:

Daily Living standard rate - £55.10 pw
Daily Living enhanced rate - £82.30 pw
Mobility standard rate - £21.80 pw
Mobility enhanced rate - £57.45 pw

How might this affect other benefits?

Personal Independence Payments are not treated as income for other benefits, but it can increase the amount of some benefits that you are entitled to.

Entitlement to any component of Personal Independence Payment may mean that the claimant is also entitled to a disability premium with other benefits such as Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Housing Benefit. (Please note though, no disability premium is ever payable if you are getting Employment and Support Allowance).

If you are awarded either rate of the daily living component, no other adult lives with you and no one gets Carer’s Allowance for looking after you, a severe disability premium can be added to most means-tested benefit that you get. However Universal Credit will not include a severe disability premium.

Also, if you get either rate of the daily living component, a ‘non-dependant’ would not be expected to help pay towards your rent i.e. no non-dependant deduction will be taken from your Housing Benefit.

The enhanced rate of the care component will give entitlement to the enhanced disability premium with means-tested benefits.

Useful information

Personal Independence Payment claim line 0800 917 2222
Personal Independence Payment information pack